The IKEA Idåsen positions itself as cooler cousin of the IKEA Bekant. It’s industrial look and colour combinations distinguish it from the budget student desk feel, the Bekant now has a lower price price, now sitting at £55 less than the Idåsen. We feel it’s worth the extra dosh…
Idåsen 2020 Stock Levels
The IKEA Idåsen is currently widely out of stock. Check here for a comparison table of some alternatives.
As with all sit/stand desks from IKEA, you are going to get a lot of people reviewing it harshly. This generally stems from them comparing IKEA’s range with sit/stand desk giants who not only out perform IKEA’s desks, but also out price them, massively. So without comparing apples to oranges, what do you get from the Idåsen other than it’s stocky aesthetic?
- Bad: Cheap feel laminate desk tops – and how that is actually good news for you!
- Good: Third party electronics
- Good: Best stability of any IKEA sit/stand desk
- Good: 10 year warranty
- Good: Resale. The Idåsen has 1 frame for both sizes.
- Bad: Comparatively underpowered motor.
- Bad: Weight capacity
A quick look at what people are saying:
Bad: Cheap feel laminated desk tops…
The Idåsen desk top offering is in between that of the Skarsta and Bekant in terms of options. But well below both in terms of quality. The desktops are heavily grained, as pictured, and actually are poorly constructed. Btod (mentioned above) actually cut open the top to see why it felt so cheap, and found inside its structure is maintained using cardboard, they said “This is without question the cheapest top we have tested to date.”
…and the silver lining
This cut back plays into our offering very well. Ikea have put all the value into the legs and motor, and skimped on the desk top. Btod recommend the old trick of swapping out the top with a kitchen top, as many have done successfully before, alternatively we offer replacement premium table tops for Idåsen sit/stand desks (and any other range/table. If we don’t have what you need, please feel free to get in touch with us).
IKEA Idåsen Video Reviews
Here are two videos, the first is a real life review from the UK. It’s a very honest review, detailing some ‘niggles’ he has found, mainly regarding the bluetooth/app set up, it’s well worth a watch if you are looking to purchase. The second is a full review from an American company that do provide a really comprehensive review, it’s linked above.
Other Ikea Reviews
- IKEA Idåsen alternatives (Flexispot/Furna/Yo-Yo/Fully/ConSet) – comparison tableFor one reason or another, the popular Idåsen sit/stand desk frame seems to be entirely out of stock in the […]
- Karlby & Alex Review – Using IKEA counter tops as desk topsInfo: this post contains affiliate links. A recent trend with Ikea hackers is to use an Ikea kitchen counter top […]
- IKEA Idåsen ReviewsThe IKEA Idåsen positions itself as cooler cousin of the IKEA Bekant. It’s industrial look and colour combinations distinguish it […]
- IKEA Bekant ReviewsThe IKEA Bekant is the grown up cousin to the IKEA Skarsta, but is it worth the extra cost? Read reviews and some thoughts about the IKEA Bekant here.
- IKEA Skarsta ReviewsA collection of reviews for the IKEA Skarsta sit/stand desk, plus how we make it better.
Good: Third party electronics
The Idasen is the only sit/stand desk by Ikea to use the Linak linear actuator system and control box. Linak are industry leaders, so that’s a good start. The facts of the matter are a little less flattering, being that IKEA are using one of their base set ups here, but it is still better than the Bekant.
One thing Linak evidently suck at though is evidently firmware. Their Bluetooth interface and app interface for controlling presets etc is absolutely shocking. Do not be fooled by futuristic claims, you will not use the app to manage the desks height!
If you are happy to stick to the basics though, taking it as an upgrade on the manual crank offered by Skarsta, then happy days!
Good: Best stability of any IKEA sit/stand desk
This is no overstatement. If you live near an IKEA I encourage you to go and test it out. Normally they sit the Idåsen, Skarsta and Bekant close together, and that is the order in which they line up when it comes to stability. Going from excellent, to good, to below average.
Idåsen Compatible Solid Wood Desk Top
Why choose our solid wood table tops?
Hand Delivered. On Time.
We hand deliver all our desk tops free of charge, with a 1 hour time slot, to ensure your top arrives in perfect condition. Made in Somerset. No customs charges.
30 Day Money Back Promise
An immediate refund or replacement if you’re not happy, which ever suits you best. Free order cancellation within 48 hours, no questions asked.
Solid wood products to fit existing desk frames
For ‘Conset’ Frames – Solid Wood Desk Top£115.00 (inc VAT)
Idåsen Compatible Solid Wood Desk Top£165.26 – £747.64 (inc VAT)
Custom Size Solid Wood Monitor/TV Stand£50.00 (inc VAT)
Bekant Compatible Solid Wood Desk Top£165.26 – £1,043.03 (inc VAT)
Skarsta Compatible Solid Wood Desk Top£165.26 – £747.64 (inc VAT)
Custom Size Solid Wood Desk/Table Top£115.00 (inc VAT)